This tool is designed to manage orders from first-time shoppers who initially check out as guests and later create customer accounts. It identifies orders that are not associated with any customer account and checks if the email address used for these orders matches any existing customer account. If a matching account is found, the tool automatically links the guest order to that customer account. This process ensures that all orders are properly associated with the right customer, even if they initially checked out as a guest.
This support article contains several sections which can be accessed quickly by clicking the appropriate link below:
- Notes for Accounts Created Prior to November 29, 2023
- Running the Guest Order Update Tool
- Reviewing the Job Status File
- Additional Tool Features
Note for Accounts Created Prior to November 29, 2023
If you created a Your Store Tools account prior to November 29, 2023, you will need to create new API keys that give Your Store Tools access to read customers and modify orders. If this is not done, you will receive errors when trying to link orders. For details on how to create new API keys, click here.
Running the Guest Order Update Tool
To begin, you’ll need to select your site from the Select Storefront dropdown.
Select a date range for the orders you’d like the tool to scan and link, then click Next.
IMPORTANT: If you’re running this tool for the first time and you have several thousands of orders, we recommend you break them out into smaller date ranges as BigCommece limits the number of API calls allowed per hour depending on your store plan (20,000 per hour for Standard and Plus, 60,000 per hour for Pro, and unlimited for Enterprise). Since the tool processes one order at a time, we recommend selecting a date range that will include orders under the allowable number of API calls for your store. We encourage Enterprise accounts to follow the recommendation of 60,000 API calls per hour to ensure adequate resources are available for all Your Store Tools users.
When the process is complete, you will receive a file with the status of each order checked. This file can be emailed or downloaded from the notification center.
By default, Your Store Tools will email you when the process is complete. If you choose to receive this notification, verify your email address is correct before clicking Submit.
Reviewing the Job Status File
Once the process is complete, you will receive a notification either by email or in the Your Store Tools Notification Center, which is the “bell” in the upper right corner. This notification will contain a link for your job status file which contains information on each of the orders scanned.
The file contains:
- order_number – the order number of the order scanned
- order_status – the status (canceled, shipped, etc.) of the order scanned
- order_date – the date of the order scanned
- customer_name – the name of the customer who placed the order
- customer_email – the email address associated with the order
- Process Message – the results of the linking process, this will either be:
- Order Linked to Customer – which means the tool found an order that matched the email address of a registered customer and the order has been linked to that customer’s record
- Unable to link order, email address not found in store – which means the tool was unable to find a registered customer with the same email address on the order, so it was not linked to any customer record
Additional Tool Features
To view the history of this tool’s use, click the hamburger menu in the upper right corner of the tool’s tile and select History.
This quick view allows you to:
- See whether the job was successfully completed or not
- Process start and end time
- Download the job status file
You can also filter results by job status.
Did you find an error or need additional support? Contact us at email@example.com to let us know!