If you are receiving API permission errors when trying to use certain Your Store Tools, you may have outdated or incorrect API settings. To resolve this, you will need to create new API keys in your BigCommerce store and update them in Your Store Tools.
Create New API Access in BigCommerce
You will need “Store Owner” access to the BigCommerce store in order to complete these steps, as “Store Owner” is the only level of access that can create an API account.
- Log into your BigCommerce Store
- Go to Settings and scroll down to API
- Click on Store-level API Accounts (on some older accounts, this may be named API Accounts)
- Click on +Create API Account
- For Token Type select V2/V3 API Token
- Enter a Name for the Token such as Your Store ToolsCopy and paste the API Path into the corresponding field in the Your Store Tools setup wizardYour Store Tools require certain permissions, or “OAuth scopes,” which allow individual tools to read and modify information in the store. All 3rd party tools and apps that connect to BigCommerce must have certain permissions set in order to work. If they aren’t granted, or improper access is granted, tools and apps will error. For more detailed information about why we require certain permissions and how we treat data, click here.To allow Your Store Tools to properly communicate with your store, please leave all OAuth scopes set to the default, None, except for:
- Content = Modify
- Information & settings = read-only
- Marketing = Modify
- Products = Modify
- Sites & routes = read-only
- Channel settings = read-only
- Channel listings = read-only
- Click Save
- The pop-up window will display the Client ID, Client Secret, and Access Token which you will copy and paste into the corresponding fields in the Your Store Tools setup wizard. Please note, this information will also automatically be downloaded as a .txt file.
Update API Information in Your Store Tools
- In Your Store Tools, choose Stores from the left-hand navigation
- Click Edit next to the store you want to provide the updated credentials for
- Copy and paste the new Access Token, Client ID and Client Secret into the appropriate fields
- Click Save Changes
Did you find an error or need additional support? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know!